SB mother accused of killing her baby told police she’s a “violent, angry person”


A South Bend mother, on trial for allegedly killing her 11 month-old son and putting her daughter in a vegetative coma months earlier described herself as a “violent angry person.

Day three of testimony continued Thursday in the trial of Nyesha Crockett with more medical evidence and videotaped recording of her initial conversations with police.

“I didn’t do anything,” Crockett told police in the hours after her 11 month-old son Micahyah was taken to the hospital lifeless.

But after hours in the interview room of St. Joseph County’s Metro Homicide Unit, Crockett’s story changed.

“It’s not my fault, I”m this way,” Crockett told Det. Brian Cook in the recording. She then showed the detective on a baby doll how she allegedly shook her young child and, later, allegedly dropped him on the ground.

The detectives pressed as to why she would do something like this, and she told them she was mad at the child’s father, Micahyah Greer, because he went off with friends and left her with the child.

“I wasn’t thinking at the time, I was just angry,” Crockett, crying and wrapped in a white blanket, tells the officers in the recordings that she is a “violent, angry person” with anxiety.

Text messages between the couple reveal Crockett’s threat to put the baby outside and cause him other bodily harm if he didn’t return home. Crockett said she shook the child once, threw him on the ground and then played a game on her phone. She said it wasn’t until she turned the lights on that she realized he was white and not breathing.

As for the allegations that Crockett is responsible for her young daughter, Alaiyah’s, current vegetative state, Crockett spent hours in the initial interviews with police denying any culpability.

Then, a turn.

“Did you shake her?” Det. Cook is seen asking Crockett in the interrogation, “No,” Crockett replies.

After silence and tears, Crockett tells investigators she choked Alaiyah with a scarf, because she was mad.

Earlier in the day, two doctors from Memorial Hospital’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit testified. Each handled the care of either Alaiyah or Michayah during their stay.

The doctors claimed there was no obvious signs of injury on either child, but that the mother’s stories of how they ended up there didn’t match the physical evidence.

“These were perfectly, healthy children, there was nothing wrong with them,” said Dr. Emenim.

Emenim said Michayah was brain dead, lifeless upon arrival with small hemorrhages in his eyes from some type of pressure on his chest. As for his sister, Emenim testified he didn’t think she was choked with a scarf nor that she had a seizure.

Both suffered from lack of oxygen to the brain.
Now the jury is left to answer the question posed by prosecutors at trial: How probable is it that two children from the same family suffered traumatic brain injury within seven months of one another, leaving one dead and the other in a coma?

Testimony continues Friday at 9:30 a.m.

Comments are closed.